We are moving towards a society which is getting more and more dangerous day by day and the most vulnerable, we can consider is Phishing and Online Frauds. There has been 87% increase in Phishing Scams since 2012, as described in a report by Security firm Kaspersky. Now, one can only imagine how many people in this world are being affected by it on a daily basis. The increase in cases can be attributed to a lot of factors, but one of the important reasons is ‘Awareness’ among the consumers of the services and sometimes ‘Negligence’ too.
Now the real question is how can anyone avoid it? Seriously, even organizations like Pentagon are prone to such attacks and hacks all the time being the world’s most secure place on earth. It’s reasonable to say one can’t avoid it, not at least in the growing stages of world economy but one can keep tab upon it and make himself/herself secure to a certain extent that any loss is avoided or it is minimal.
There are certain things which every Customer is supposed to be aware of:
- Banks and especially ‘RBI’ (there have been cases) or their representatives would never communicate through telephonic conversations. All official communications are carried out through official letters that are sent to the Concerned Person’s Address.
- Never any bank or bank officials would ever ask your confidential details such as account number, password etc. All your details are available with the bank.
- Try to avoid online transactions through Internet Banking or Credit Cards or any type of cash cards at Internet Café or any Public Wi-Fi networks since these are the most insecure networks for secure transactions.
- When you use your Credit Cards, Debit Cards or any cash Cards at Pos Terminals across various Supermarkets, Restaurants, or any public place please do not leave your card from your sight due to overconfidence, since these magnetic cards are very much vulnerable to cloning and theft of confidential data.
- Do not answer calls or reply SMS, Emails which claim to that you have won a million dollars. These are spam emails which are bugged by malware which can get access to your systems and steal confidential files and data and yes even your personal details also.
- “Prevention is better than cure” we all know that but very few tend to make necessary arrangements for the same.